Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A stolen photo

I was quite surprised to see a photo that I had made for G's rainbow party that I posted about here had been "stolen" from presumably this blog and has been making the round on the internet only for me to see today in the form of this post:

I have no idea who Alison is but she replied to my comment when I told her this was my personal photo I created. Apparently she has seen this image on a number of different sites online. Now I'm  honored that Genesis blog has reached that many people but what I don't appreciate is people taking photos without permission or giving credit to the source. Of course it's not my quote but it is my photo. Complete with typo. That's how I knew it was mine. Makes me sad that once again, something that I had posted has now been taken away and not given credit to. I didn't want to have to do this but perhaps I will have to watermark each and every photo. Sigh.

After a few comments back and forth with Allison, her story is not making sense. First she told me the image went viral and so many places have it she could not remember where she saw it. Then in another comment she said she saw it on Pinterest. I checked Pinterest and I could not find my image on there. I did a google search and clicked images and only found that exact photo linked to my blog. I think someone is not telling the truth. She kept saying it's not my quote but that's besides the point. It is however my photo. 

UPDATE

This morning I woke up to find out the photo was shared on another popular page:
I commented on the photo with the following:
The admin of the Attachment parenting 24/7 page seemed nice enough but I went on to tell her that I wasnt offended but that I would like the credit given. If she would like I can provide the photo with the included watermark to give credit. I never heard a reply. A bit later I saw an update on the same page:
Of course many of her page likers then commented in agreement with the update. I of course had to reply.

Then all seemed fine when the admin asked me to provide her the copy that gives credit. Until others started commenting:
You know, I feel I said my piece. I stood up for what was right. But now I am hesitant on giving them this url because of all the negative comments I may get because of this facebook bs. smh.

And apparently another blogger with quite the following also shared my image. I commented the best way I know how:

Really this is all I have to say to sum it up. Things that I create, weather you think its amazing or cheap or whatever, are mine. Stealing isnt ok just because you found it on the internet. Im not really sure how my photo got out. And really thats besides the point. Yes I suppose I am to blame as well for not initially watermarking it but even so, stealing is stealing. I stood up for the principle of it all. Now that apparently it has gone viral I know there is little I can do now. But if in my efforts I can get just one person to give credit to this blog, and in turn to Genesis, because after all it is because of her that I had a hope for rainbow babies to begin with, then that is fine with me. It has never been my intention for ME to get credit. Just this blog which to me is giving credit to Genesis. So thats all I have to say. I want her story to live on long after I am no longer here. 

Having said that, if any of you would like to share the image please feel free to use this image only:
And yes, I finally corrected that typo ;)

ANOTHER UPDATE:
Because I have now provided the photo with the appropriate credit this blog may get some unwanted attention brought over from the people on facebook who are commenting with negative comments. For now, I am going to hide this post and schedule it to publish at the end of the year. Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.

Thanks again for your support.

ONE LAST UPDATE (promise): It seems that the majority of people that I contacted about my stolen photo have complied and either posted the photo with the correct photo credit or have removed the stolen photo. Everyone has been very nice and understanding when I brought this to their attention. So for that I am very thankful.

3 comments:

KnottedFingers said...

Oh Tiffany I'm so sorry you are going through this. I published a poem in Calypso's name and I've found it on so many different sites and people changed one or two words. It makes me sick!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but how can you fault people for "stealing" a photo from you without giving you credit when the photo in question has a quote on it that you stole from someone else and didn't credit? Seriously, I don't see any quote attribution on your photo . . . I'm just saying.

Tiffany said...

Of course someone with this type of reply would be anonymous. And I have never taken credit for the quote, just the art I created which is nothing fancy. Still, I created it. And if you could provide a direct source for this quote is be happy to give credit. But many blms who know this quote also know that there is no known author. So I suggest before you start pointing fingers to do a little research.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...