Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Consumed by death

This post isn't as morbid as the title suggests... or maybe it is. It seems that ever so often we get a reminder of how delicate life is. And as a BLM we know that better than anyone.

Yesterday I got news that my neighbor down the street, a mother of 2 in her late 30's, got in a car accident last Wednesday and died. It's just so chocking and so incredibly sad for those kids, and her husband. Just tragic. The husband, from what I am told, just got laid off a matter of days before her death. He is just devastated and he has no idea what will happen to the kids or the house. Evidently she was on the freeway that is just a matter of 2 blocks from our homes, she was driving to the mall which again is just like a mile from our homes. Not exactly sure what happened but I'm told her car flipped over somehow and she was killed. Click here for the article published online.

It's really creepy. I have lived in the home I am in now for about 10 years now. In the 10 years I have been here I have seen SO many of my neighbors die. 3 have died of old age. 1 died from cancer. 1 died from a drug overdose. Another 3 died as a result of a murder/ suicide. 1 got hit by a drunk driver and now this one as a result of a car accident. Unbelievable. 

Each precious life that is lost serves as a reminder to me that things can change in the blink of an eye. We are not immortal. My day will come too... hopefully many many many decades from now. Or even better... hopefully never. Of course I dont want to die, no one....well most people don't actually want to die. I cannot even dream about leaving my babies, especially while they are so small. But I know that things like this is beyond our control. Who knows... something could happen to me today, tomorrow or 80 years from now. Sigh. 

When death tiptoes into our life like this, even if indirectly, it really scares me. Especially as a single mother. What on Earth would happen to the kids. I feel the urgency to put a will together. I know Im still young but accidents happen. I dont like to think about that... who does. But I think as a parent its smart to plan for the unexpected. I want to make sure that my kids are safe, taken care of, and raised the way I would approve of if something were to happen to take me away from them.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I know I get those same feelings especially when someone close to my age or someone young I know real well.

{{HUGS}}

Tiffany said...

I know I get those same feelings especially when someone close to my age or someone young I know real well.

{{HUGS}}

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...