Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"That's how far along I was when I had Genesis"

I find myself saying this to friends and family that are expecting (or that were in the past) who were about 5 - 5 1/2 months along. Only now do I really step back and realize how it may be affecting people.

Ever since I had her, I have had a need for people to recognize that I was pregnant with her. That she counted. That she was a real person. That my pregnancy with her counted. That even though there was a time where I had no living children, I was a mother. I had a strong desire to connect to the world of pregnancy and motherhood. And so any opportunity I could take to relate to this world I would take it.


Though it was accompanied by odd looks when we were exchanging labor stories amongst family members. I felt as though my labor with Genesis didn't count to them. My 5 days of hospitalization and pain (both physical and emotional) didn't count to them because my baby girl didn't take a breath. But I didn't let their reactions stop me from sharing my stories of motherhood. 

But only now do I realize that when I congratulate a friend or family member on their pregnancy and I am told they are about 5 months pregnant, I say "Awww, that's how far along I was when Genesis was born." I don't mean it in a way to scare the family into thinking their baby will die. That is not my intention at all. And for a while though, I thought it was just a way to reconnect with Genesis' pregnancy and birth story and to once again remind people that I was a mother way before I had a living child. Ive come to realize that I do it because I want people to see that she was real. Its easy to say "oh her baby died at 5 months in the pregnancy..." and move on like it was no big deal. But when they are currently 5 months pregnant... they already know how connected and head over heels in love they are with their unborn baby. They have already made all the plans and have all the dreams that I had for Genesis. They are in that exact stage in their lives and pregnancy where they are awaiting to receive the best gift in life they have ever gotten. And all that was ripped away from me. By reminding them that was when Genesis was born, I am trying to remind them that I have not forgotten her. In a sense, I want them to realize how much I lost. And that if they were to loose their baby now (and I never ever wish that on anyone) how that would impact them. And then maybe just visiting the idea for a split second may give them a tiny glimpse of what I deal with on a day to day basis. 

I hope that doesnt sound bad. I certainly dont mean it in a bad way. I am only human. I truly never hope anything bad ever happens to any baby. But the same time I want people to recognize what I lost. It's so much more than just losing a baby. Anyway, I guess Im rambling now and this post really didnt come out the way I was hoping... Im not good with words. But hopefully my BLM friends know what I am trying to say.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I get what you're saying. I always include Carleigh in my pregnancy and labor stories.

TanaLee Davis said...

I so get what your saying. I do this too. I hate that some just awkwardly don't want to talk about it.
You know, TanaLee lived to be 7 months and 3 days after being born at just 25 weeks along...I still get reactions as if her life didn't count and that my mothering was some what counterfeit.

It sucks I tell you. I have the same strong need to connect to the pregnancy/living baby/mothering world...yet I too get the "yours doesn't count" reaction...it suck but its the way people see it since mine wasn't brought home ever....and she's no longer with me.
I'm sorry we must deal with this too after so much grief...my heart is with you sister.
~Felicia

brigette said...

This makes perfect sense!! Im sorry you know the pain! Much love!!

The Anglin Family said...

I couldn't have said this better..I find myself saying the exact same thing and I'm sure its scary to those I say it to, but I do it so they will realize how important my daughter was and is to me. I don't see anything wrong with it, although I've felt guilty after scaring someone who no longer talks to me.

Lisette said...

I totally get what you are saying. I ALWAYS share Sami's birth story when the subject comes up. For us it comes naturally because no matter what we did give birth to a little being whether other people want to see that way or not. Don't feel bad. I know I will share Sami's story until I take my last breath. Only a BLM would understand that.

Tiffany said...

This makes perfect sense!! Im sorry you know the pain! Much love!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...