Monday, October 25, 2010

A birth certificate for all

A BLM friend of mine posted on her facebook page about stillbirth and how we should talk about it... you know, break the taboo. And through the replies the topic shifted a bit to a topic that many of us know too well. Birth certificates. Many of us gave birth to a perfectly beautiful little baby who never took a breath or let out a cry. And these bundles of joy have been deprived of a birth certificate because they did not/ could not do these things. Yet, they were born. Some received a death certificate for their child...and dont you have to be born first, in order to die? And some like myself, were not even issued a death certificate. My daughter was stillborn, yet I didnt even get a certificate of stillbirth because of the number of weeks gestation she was. Even though she was a baby, perfectly formed with 10 fingers and 10 toes and she had just been kicking me days before...they refuse to acknowledge she was a baby. Instead I got a certificate of fetal something or other. What an insult. A fellow commenter posted a link to a site that is trying to change this. Click here to check it out. This is an awesome organization that I support 110%. Here is a movie piece of theirs.



2 comments:

Wyatt's Mommie said...

Thanks for psting this Tiffany!!! You rock!!!

Holly said...

I've seen the MISS thing before and think it is great. I was able to get a certificate of stillbirth for Carleigh. Took a while to get.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...