Saturday, September 25, 2010

Celebrity Babylost Parents & Oprah

I found a blog that I thought would be interesting to share with you of celebrities that have had a pregnancy and/or infant loss. Some people you would have never thought had been through this and I see them in a new light and have such compassion for them.  


A couple of BLD that I did not see listed were T.I. (the rapper), he had a stillborn daughter just 8 days after Genesis was born. And Rev Run (also a rapper) who had a daughter die shortly after birth just about 6 months before Genesis was born.


Im not sure you all know but Oprah was raped in her teens and gave birth to a stillborn baby boy. It has been said that that she has never done a show about infant/pregnancy loss perhaps because of this. Perhaps it brings up the trauma from being raped. So I did a little homework. Turns out she has done at least one show regarding rape. You can read about it here. I also found that she did at least two shows about miscarriage. You can read about them here and here. After digging up some info it turns out the Oprah Show was looking for stories of mothers coping with the loss of their child but this was back in 2007 and it never aired. Here and here is where I found the info and the first post was actually posted on Genesis birthday :( I wonder why it never aired or moved forward. She does have the topic of losing a child in her forum. In this forum many BLMs have tried to reach out to Oprah to create a show for breaking the silence on this topic and this is the reply they all get:

So the million dollar question that has been asked over and over is, why wont Oprah do a show on infant & pregnancy loss to help and stop it from being such a taboo subject? Just because she doesnt want to talk about her experience, and I can understand why being raped and giving birth at 14, that doesnt mean there aren't thousands of women who want to talk about it. I feel it would be healing and comforting. 

2 comments:

Lucid Anne said...

I know. I feel so super mean saying it but I get angry thinking about it and want to ask Oprah why she is being so selfish when she is usually so giving and can do so much, especially in that soccer mom demographic that we so desperately need to tap into?? :(

Tiffany said...

I know. I feel so super mean saying it but I get angry thinking about it and want to ask Oprah why she is being so selfish when she is usually so giving and can do so much, especially in that soccer mom demographic that we so desperately need to tap into?? :(

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...